A completely revised report for quicker and easier access to key information
For decisions makers in Home Improvement as in other industries, working with accurate, reliable market information is paramount. Easy access to the information is also important. This led us to make significant changes in our Global DIY Report in this completely overhauled issue.
- For the main national markets as for the main DIY retail companies, data is displayed in a new layout combining charts and tables
- Year-over-year evolutions are made apparent
- The source of sales informationis indicated (either Corporate Information or other source of information)
- Key indicators on the overall economic situation are provided for each country.
In the introduction we present this new layout and how to use it.
DIY or Home Improvement?
Both names are accepted in the industry, though their meanings are slightly different. Within the document we use the word ‘DIY’ (acronym of Do-It-Yourself), because it is the most commonly used term in the industry. Nevertheless, we refer to ‘Home Improvement’ in the name of the document. This is because the concept of ‘improving one’s home’ is today the driving force for this developing market worldwide. We hope this completely revised edition will meet your expectations!
Section 1: Global Analysis
This section aimsat givingan overviewof the global DIY market:
- Global marketsize evolution
- Main regions: marketsizes, evolution, average DIY expenditure per capita
- Main DIY national markets
- National average DIY expenditure per capita
- Focus on European DIY markets
Section 2: Countries
This section provides 2-page synoptic information for the major DIY markets, in decreasing order of market size.
- On Page 1 you will find at a glance the key indicators: population, GDP, DIY market, DIY average expenditure
- On Page 2 you will find information on the Top 10 DIY retail chains in the country: 2015 and 2016 sales, number of stores, total sales surface
For the country havingmore than10 DIY retail chains, a comprehensive table is added following Page 2.
Section 3: Major DIY Groups
This section goes through the major groups on the DIY market at worldwide level. More details are given for the Top 10 groups through a 2-page overview: T/O evolution, global market share evolution, operating countries, retail chains…
Retailers’ sales figures
In order to make this document a better decision-makingtool, we specify the source of the sales figures we mention in the document. We used the following code, in decreasing order of data relialibility:
- CI: Corporate information (either Annual Reports or information directly provided by the company)
- EM: Data provided by EDRA/GHIN Members
- DV: information coming from the Dähne Verlag 2016 survey (www.daehne.de)
- OE: Our Estimate. This information may not be conform to reality. It isa mere estimate of the sales figure whenno data at all is available.
For 2016, 40% of global T/O is based upon Corporate Information, 39% upon our own estimates 14% come from Dahne Verlag and 7% from EDRA/GHIN members.
Please note that this code only refers to the 2016 sales figure. In many cases, the 2015 sales figure is already known, so the source maybe different for the 2015 sales figure and the 2016 sales figure.
When unknown, the 2016 sales figure is estimated taking into account the following informations, according to their availibility:
- 2015 sales
- 2016/2015 total surface change
- 2016/2015 national marketsize change
- Former year-on-yearincreaseor decreaseof thisretailchain.
Stores and surfaces
Both number of stores and total sales surface canalsocome from different sources.
Please note that in some cases, the source may differ from the specified source for the 2016 sales figure. For instance, for one retailer, the 2016 sales figure maybe our own estimate whereas the numberof stores is imparted on the company’s website.
In general,when the total sales surface is unknown, it is estimated from the average surface of comparable retail chains in the same country.